These Foods Could Be Fatal To Your Dog
Plush Paws Products

These Foods Could Be Fatal To Your Dog

Posted on September 25 2015

These Foods Could Be Fatal To Your Dog

 

Just because you can eat it, that doesn't mean that your dog could eat it too. We all love to share foods with our furry friends, but it is important to be aware that not all we eat are safe for dogs to consume. This may be toxic and could be poisonous to your dog causing a serious threat to their health and well-being.

 

Avocado

Avocado contains a substance called persin. It’s harmless for human who aren't allergic to persons, but in dogs it could be toxic. Large amount of persin can cause diarrhea, vomiting or even heart congestion. If you happen to grow avocado in your backyard, keep your pets away from the plants. It's not just the fruit that contains persin, but the leaves, seed and bark as well.

 

Chocolate

Probably the most common food that dogs and one of the most dangerous. Chocolate contains caffeine that can cause restlessness, rapid breathing, muscle tremors and palpitation. So don't attempt to let them drink coffee nor tea either (Why would you do that anyway?).

 

Alcohol

While it may seem funny when you look at videos of dogs getting tipsy and all after drinking vodka or beer, but the truth is these dogs are struggling for their lives. Alcohol has the same effect in the dog's brain and liver as it has on humans. However, it will take only a little amount for them to vomit, have diarrhea, and affect their central nervous system. It can also cause problems to their coordination, have difficulty in breathing, etc. The worst case scenario is a coma or even instant death.

 

Grapes

Grapes have been known to cause severe kidney failure in dogs. The exact cause of kidney failure is unclear and some dogs can eat grapes without problems. But, don't take your chances.

 

Dogs who aren't immune to grapes can experience symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting and lethargy. This usually happens around 12 hours after they have ingested the fruit.

 

Vitamins

While most human vitamins are fine, those that contain high amounts of iron can damage the lining of their digestive system and can cause liver and kidney failure.

 

Onions and Garlic

Whether it's pure or other forms (powder,liquid,etc) onion and garlic contains dissulfides and sulfoxides that can be fatal to your furry friend. An occasional small dose can be OK, but eating in large quantities could poison them.

 

Symptoms include weakness, vomiting, anemia, dullness and breathlessness.

 

Milk and Dairy Products

Dogs are naturally lactose intolerant. They don't have enough of the lactase enzymes to properly digest dairy foods. This means that no ice cream and cheese in their diet. If you need to give them dairy, choose lactose-free dairy products.

 

Tobacco

The effects of nicotine are far more intense in dogs than it is in humans. Nicotine can damage your pet's digestive and nervous systems. Symptoms include increased heart rate that could make them pass out or even result in death.

 

Raw Eggs

Either you're lazy or there's just a Rocky blood in you that you would prefer giving your dog raw eggs. There are two problems that occur in this situation. First is the possible food poisoning from Salmonella or E.Coli. Next is the enzyme in raw eggs interfere with the absorption of vitamin B. This can cause skin problems as well as problems with your dog's coat if you regularly feed them raw eggs.

 

Moldy or Spoiled Food

 

While it seems ideal to not let moldy or spoiled food go to waste by feeding them to your dog..Don't!

 

Just let these foods go to waste because moldy and spoiled foods contain multiple toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea and other symptoms that could also affect your pet's internal organs.

 

Raw foods

Raw meat and fish may contain bacteria that can cause food poisoning. One of the most fatal food poisoning to date is the ones that came from salmon, trout or sturgeon. Letting your dog eat these fishes raw can contain a parasite called fish disease or salmon poisoning disease. If not treated, it can be fatal within 2 weeks.

 

No matter how cautious you are, it is possible that your dog can ingest what shouldn't. If that happens, you should be prepared. Here are some tips to help you prepare for the worst.

 

  1. Know the numbers of your local vet or the nearest emergency clinic.
  2. Contact your nearest animal poison control center.
  3. Do not attempt to treat your dog unless you know what you are doing.

 

 Now that you know what foods to avoid to your pet, it's time to protect them from insects, especially if you and your dog go outdoors a lot. Protect your dog with from the annoying insects with this innovative solution. INSECT SHIELD DOG T-SHIRT BY DOGGLES contain permethrin - a state-of-the-art protective system that is safer and more effective than insect sprays. To use it, simply wear it to your pet as you would wear a pet t-shirt and that's it! 

Don't wait till the worst happens. Get your Insect Dog T-Shirt by Doggles today!

 

 

 

 

Join our Mailing List

Sign up to receive our daily email and get 50% off your first purchase.

My Cart

Subtotal: $ 0.00 USD

Your cart is currently empty.