When it comes to good emotional support dogs, you want a well-mannered animal with a mild temperament, and a Goldendoodle checks all of these boxes.
Goldendoodles are known for being bright, obedient, and extremely loving dogs. They get along well with other pets and don’t easily succumb to stress. For these reasons and more, we highly recommend selecting a Goldendoodle as an emotional support dog. Keep reading to learn more about these lovable friends and the many benefits they offer.
What Are Emotional Support Animals?
Emotional support animals (ESAs) offer companionship and other benefits to individuals with some sort of disabling mental illness. These animals aim to provide comfort and relieve symptoms of a wide range of disabilities. Although all dogs offer an emotional connection with their owner, ESAs are prescribed by a mental health professional. A licensed therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist must determine that an animal will improve their patient’s mental health in a specific way and provide a recommendation letter. These improvements might include lessening anxiety, depression, phobias, or post-traumatic stress disorder.
Emotional Support Dogs vs. Service Dogs
You might hear the terms “emotional support animal” and “service animal” used interchangeably, but they refer to two very different things. ESAs provide support to those with mental illnesses through companionship, however, they aren’t considered service dogs.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a service animal as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. For example, guide dogs have been specially trained to help blind and low-vision patients navigate the world. The ADA also specifies that animals who simply provide emotional comfort don’t qualify for the same accommodations as service dog users. This means that ESAs generally cannot accompany their owners into places where dogs aren’t allowed.
Benefits of Emotional Support Dogs
People choose to use emotional support dogs for a myriad of reasons. Studies throughout time have shown the power of the support from companion animals to those managing a long-term mental health condition. Some of the other benefits that ESAs may provide include:
- Trauma support
- Less anxiety
- Scarcer feelings of loneliness
- Diminished phobias
- Reciprocal unconditional love and care
- Improved physical health
- Stabilized emotions
- Social support
- Heightened motivation
- An increased sense of purpose
Here’s Why Goldendoodles Make Great ESAs
Goldendoodles make good emotional support dogs because they are some of the most intelligent, good-natured, and loving dogs out there. Here are a few other reasons why a Goldendoodle might be the perfect fit for you:
- They are hypoallergenic - Because doodle breeds are less likely to shed, there is a better chance that you won't have as bad of a reaction to their fur. In fact, Goldendoodles were one of the first breeds specifically designed to be hypoallergenic. If you struggle with allergies or respiratory issues, a Goldendoodle might end up being a match made in heaven.
- They can be found in a variety of sizes - The size of your ESA depends on your situation. Some patients depend on a larger dog that is physically strong, while others need something much smaller. A standard Goldendoodle weighs between 50 and 90 pounds, but the smallest breed is only around 10 pounds, thus giving you plenty of options.
- Goldendoodles are easy to train - Since patients depend on ESAs to be obedient to commands, you need a dog that is smart and has a good memory. Goldendoodles check all of these boxes and are quite eager to please humans. They readily listen and obey the commands of their owners and want to make them happy.
- Goldendoodles can remain calm amidst chaos - When you are considering a dog for emotional support, the last thing you want is a dog that can’t remain calm during stressful situations. Overly-active dogs are totally normal, but when you’re depending on them to stabilize your emotions, they must be able to remain in control. Although they love to meet new people and play with other dogs, you won’t usually find them jumping all over new people unnecessarily.
- They can easily adapt to new situations and routines - Many dogs take a decent amount of time to fully adjust to a new person. Goldendoodles make great support animals because of their ability to go with the flow whenever necessary. Since they love to meet new people and encounter new experiences, they can remain unscared during times of uncertainty.
- Goldendoodles are receptive to physical contact - Just as many people don’t enjoy being touched, dogs can squirm over too much physical contact as well. A great ESA is one that can provide the physical comfort their owner’s needs and Goldendoodles are on board with this concept. They’re generally very friendly and receptive to different kinds of stimuli including petting and cuddling.
How to Certify Your Emotional Support Dog
Emotional support animals don’t require any sort of specific registration. Instead, here are the steps to properly certifying your Goldendoodle as an ESA:
- Recognize your need for an emotional support animal
- Make an appointment with a licensed mental health professional
- Express your need for an ESA
- Receive an ESA recommendation letter from your healthcare professional
Anyone who asks you for a registration number or certificate proving your dog is an ESA is misinformed. The only proof you need is the recommendation letter from your therapist or doctor confirming your need for an emotional support animal.
Spoil Your Goldendoodle with Plush Paws Products
It’s no secret that Goldendoodles make good emotional support dogs, so treat yours to something nice every now and then with Plush Paws Products. Our luxurious car seat covers will elevate the experience next time you take your pup out for a ride. Our covers will protect your car seats from unwanted dog hairs, odors, scratches, and more.
To keep your precious Goldendoodle healthy, check out our line of pet health products, including eye drops and multivitamins. With worldwide shipping, we aim to help all dogs and their owners interact by improving the time spent together. Shop our online store today to learn more!